The Chemistry Department's Undergraduate Teaching Laboratory (UTL) houses instrumentation for the purification, characterization and analysis of chemical substances. Undergraduates at all levels utilize this equipment as part of their course work. This hands-on training in the safe and effective use of state-of-the-art research techniques is invaluable to students preparing for an industrial career as well as for those planning to attend graduate or medical school. All graduate students have access to the Chemistry Department's Undergraduate Teaching Laboratories.
- Sixty laptop computers for use in data collection, analysis and web based experiments.
- USB Ocean Optics Spectrometers for spectroscopy and kinetics experiments at the freshmen level..
- Vernier Hardware and Software for computer based experiments. These include pH, conductivity, temperature and gas sensor probes (thirty five of each). Additionally, we have twenty five ORP sensors that can be used for oxidation-reduction studies using the Vernier software.
- Five Mini-GCs (Vernier) used for separation and identification of simple alcohols and esters – excellent teaching tool for introduction of chromatography (for – Chem 2122)
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY (ROOM 346)
- Two Varian 800 FTIR Spectrometers
- Several Gas Chromatographs
- Randolph Autopol V Automatic Polarimeter
ADVANCED COURSES (ROOM 306)
- Varian AA240FS (PS-315) -Flame Atomic absorption spectrometer. Detection limit for most metals is hundreds of ppb
- Varian GTA120/AA240Z (PS-315) - Graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometer. Detection limit for most metals is ppb
- Shimadzu - LC/MS 2010A (PS-313) - Microbore HPLC with diode array detector and electrospray and atmospheric pressure chemical ionization for quadrupole mass spectrometer. Diode array detector can be configured to be in series or in parallel to mass spectrometer
- Shimadzu - GC/MS QP2010 (EI/CI sources) (PS-313) - Capillary column GC with quadrupole mass analyzer
- Cary 5000 - UV/Visible/Near Infrared with temperature control and software to perform kinetic studies
- Varian Prostar Gradient HPLC with diode array detection - HPLC with multi-wavelength detection via diode array with gradient capability, methods development software for calibration
- HP-5890 Capillary Column Gas Chromatograph with FID. Temperature programming capability; FID detection
- BASi Epsilon Electrochemical Workstation - Voltammetry (e.g., cyclic, differential pulse, square wave), chronoamperometry, chronocoulometry, chronopotentiometry, galvanostatic methods
- Raman Spectrometer
- Metrohm MIC-2 Ion Chromatograph for cation and anion analysis
- FT-IR Spectrometer (ATR, diffuse reflectance, transmittance)
- Malvern dynamic light scattering particle sizing apparatus
ADVANCED COURSES (ROOM 317)
Fluorolog 3 - Fluorescence spectrometer with temperature control for sample, front-face fluorescence and accessory for polarization measurements.
Differential Scanning Calorimeter
ADVANCED COURSES (ROOM 312)
- Bruker 400 MHz NMR spectrometer sample changer.