K. Darrell Berlin, Ph.D.
413 Physical Sciences I
- B.A., 1955, North Central College
- Ph.D., 1958, University of Illinois
- WADC Postdoctoral Fellow, 1958-60, University of Florida
- Organic synthetic methods
- Medicinal chemistry
- Heteroarotinoids as anti-cancer agents
- Organophosphorus chemistry
- NMR analysis of dynamic systems
Our research efforts are focused upon synthesis. The research involves the development of agents to treat a variety of cancers. The heteroarotinoid 1 (X = Y = S; Z = NO2) below has successfully passed all pre-clinical screening for the potential treatment of kidney and ovarian cancer. Plans are to begin PHASE 0 and PHASE 1 clinical trials in 2018 involving humans. Research is continuing with the objective to synthesize modified versions of the clinical agent.