TUCKER RESEARCH SUMMARY
- Molecular Spectroscopy
- Chemical Analysis
- Organized Media
As an analytical chemist, Sheryl Tucker's research is a distinctive combination of both fundamental and applied studies, involving complex systems ranging from organized media to nanomaterials to biological and environmental substances. The overarching theme is the use of targeted experimental design to understand fully the intricacies of heterogeneous materials to ensure their successful integration in applications that ultimately benefit society. While projects involve many techniques, the Tucker Group primarily focuses on molecular spectroscopy and chemical separations. Because of this expertise, collaborative research projects are also a natural fit.
Representative Projects and Publications
- Program design and innovation to increase the participation of underrepresented groups in science:
S. A. Tucker, D. L. Hanuscin and C. J. Bearnes, "The Pipeline: Igniting Girls' Interest in Science," Science, 2008, 319, 1621.
- Spectroscopic Characterization of Organized Media - Dendrimers and Hyperbranched Polymers:
D. L. Richter-Egger, A. Tesfai and S. A. Tucker, "Spectroscopic Investigations of Poly(propyleneimine) Dendrimers Using the Solvatochromic Probe Phenol Blue and Comparisons to Poly(Amidoamine) Dendrimers," Analytical Chemistry, 2001, 73, 5743
- Applications of Organized Media in Chemical Separations - Dendrimers and Hyperbranched Polymers:
K. K. Kline and S. A. Tucker, "Spectroscopic Investigations of Core-Based, Randomly Hyperbranched Polymers and Comparison with the Dendrimeric Counterparts," Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2009, 113, 12891.
- Applications of Organized Media in Chemical Sensing - Development of Polymeric Fluorescent Nanosensors:
E. J. Morgan, J. M. Ripley, and S. A. Tucker, "Spectroscopic Characterization of Poly(amidoamine) Dendrimers as Selective Uptake Devices: Phenol Blue Versus Nile Red," Applied Spectroscopy, 2006, 60, 551.
- Chemical Separations of Environmental Pollutants:
C. Mao and S. A. Tucker, "High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Separation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons Using Pyridinium Chloride as a Selective Fluorescence Quencher to Aid Detection," Journal of Chromatography A, 2002, 996, 53.
- Probing Nanocapsules via Fluorescent Reporter Molecules:
Collaboration with Professor Jerry Atwood, University of Missouri Chemistry Department, S. J. Dalgarno, S. A. Tucker, D. B. Bassil and J. L. Atwood, "Fluorescent Guest Molecules Report Ordered Inner Phase of Host-Capsules in Solution," Science, 2005, 309, 2037.
- Spectroscopic Investigations of Photosensitizing Agents Used in Photodynamic Therapy - Treatment of Cancerous Tumors in Horses:
- "Encapsulation of Acenaphthene within C-Propan-3-ol-pyrogalloarene Dimeric Nanocapsules," K. K. Kline, D. A. Fowler, S. A. Tucker, and J. L. Atwood, Chem. - Eur. J.,, 2011
- "Mentoring Women Faculty," J. M. Hermsen, J. S. Litt, J. L. Hart, and S. A. Tucker, in Gender and Higher Education, B. J. Bank, Ed., Johns Hopkins University Press; Baltimore, 2011.
- "Spectroscopic Investigation of Pyrolgallolarene Nanocapsules Utilizing Encapsulated Fluorescent Guests," J. L. Whetstine, K. K. Kline, D. A. Fowler, C. M. Ragan, C. L. Barnes, J. L. Atwood and S. A. Tucker, New J. Chem., 34, 2587-2591, 2010
- "Spectroscopic Characterization of Core-Based Hyperbranched Poly(ethyleneimine) and Dendritic Poly(propyleneimine) as Selective Uptake Devices," K. K. Kline and S. A. Tucker, J. Phys. Chem. A, 114, 7338-7344, 2010
- ""Capillary Electrophoresis Using Core-Based Hyperbranched Polyethyleneimine (CHPEI) Static-Coated Capillaries," C. Boonyakong and S. A. Tucker, J. Sep. Sci., 32, 3369-3572, 2009
- "Encapsulation and Quantification of Multiple Dye Guests in Unmodified Poly(amidoaine) Dendrimers as a Function of Generation," K. K. Kline, E. J. Morgan, L. K. Norton, and S. A. Tucker, Talanta,78, 1489-1491, 2009,
- "Fluorescent phosphinimine as possible precursor to an anionic and fluorescent sensor for Tc-99," L. M. Arrigo M. Galenas, D. B. Bassil, S. A. Tucker, R. Kannan, K. V. Katti, C. L. Barnes and S. S. Jurisson, Radiochim. Acta,96, 435-444, 2008
- "Photodynamic Therapy: Basic Principles and Potential Uses for the Veterinary Ophthalmologist," E. A. Giuliano, J. Ota, and S. A. Tucker, Vet. Ophthalmol., 10, 337-343, 2007
- "Spectroscopic Investigations of ADMA Encapsulated in Pyrogallolarene Nanocapsules," D. B. Bassil, S. J. Dalgarno, Gareth W. V. Cave, J. L. Atwood and S. A. Tucker, J. Phys. Chem. B,111, 9088-9092, 2007
- "Encapsulation and Co-Crystallation of a Fluorophore with Hexameric Pyrogallolarene Nanocapsules: Structural and Fluorescence Studies," S. J. Dalgarno, D. B. Bassil, S. A. Tucker, and J. L. Atwood, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.,45, 7019-7022, 2006
- "Dramatic Solvent and Capping Ligand Effects Directing the Photochemistry of Uranyl(VI) Schiff Base Complexes," A. E. Vaughn, D. B. Bassil, C. L. Barnes, S. A. Tucker and P. B. Duval, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,128, 10656-10657, 2006
- "Molecular Fluorescence, Phosphorescence, and Chemiluminescence Spectroscopy," K. A. Fletcher, S. O. Fakayode, M. Lowry, S. A. Tucker, S. L. Neal, I. W. Kimaru, M. E. McCarroll, g. Patonay, P. B. Oldham, O. Rusin, R. M. Strongin, and I. M. Warner, Anal. Chem., 60, 551-559, 2006
- "Fluorescent Guest Molecules Report Ordered Inner Phase of Host-Capsules in Solution," S. J. Dalgarno, S. A. Tucker, D. B. Bassil, and J. L. Atwood, Science, 309, 2037-2039, 2005